Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), VITA provides free income tax preparation assistance to individuals and families with a combined household income of less than $54,000 a year. In addition to providing free tax preparation, VITA works to ensure everyone in the community receives all of the tax credits and deductions for which they are eligible.
Many in our community don't have access to affordable tax preparation services or are unaware of programs like Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) that could put thousands of dollars back in their hands and into our local economy. VITA helps taxpayers obtain eligible tax credits and deductions, especially EITC, Child Tax Credit, Education Tax Credits and Child Care tax deductions. Anyone who files a basic tax return can have taxes prepared at one of the VITA sites.
With this growing coalition, including faith-based, public and private organizations, our goal is to help more individuals and families achieve greater financial stability with our free tax preparation services.
Call 2-1-1 to schedule your FREE tax appointment today!
Be a VITA Volunteer
Great volunteers are the key to our success. To join this year's effort and help make a difference in our community, call 864-340-9286.
We are currently seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Volunteer Tax Preparers help individuals and families prepare their tax returns and ensure all eligible taxpayers receive their qualifying tax credits.
- Volunteer Greeters/Screeners welcome VITA participants to the site and ensure that they are prepared with all required documentation to meet with the tax preparer.
- Volunteer Site Coordinators manage the operations of the United Way VITA site, including volunteer staff and quality control.
Tax Preparer Training
Volunteer tax preparers are required to complete IRS tax certification at the Basic level. United Way VITA Collaborative has developed a training model that provides a supportive learning environment where you will excel.
As a VITA volunteer, you will receive:
- Professional tax and software training
- Flexible volunteer hours - daytime, evenings or weekends
- The satisfaction of helping others in our community
Benefits of Volunteering
- Gain a valuable and marketable skill
- Make new friends! This is a great opportunity to meet other people in our community who are dedicated to helping others.
- Satisfaction of knowing that you had a direct impact on our community. Imagine helping someone put food on the table or saving someone from a mortgage foreclosure. As a VITA volunteer, you will help individuals and families keep their hard-earned money.